On the latest CodeCast, Terry discusses physician and medical provider addendums, late entries and corrections.
CMS and their MAC carriers have referred to this practice as legitimate and are aware it does happen: that is why the Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 3 addresses the topic.
When a deficiency is discovered in a provider’s notes, it is common practice to create a late entry or an addendum or make a minor correction to the medical record. It is important to know how to correctly make the changes, but first, it is important to know the difference between a late entry an addendum or correction, as they are handled differently.
You need to know how to apply these corrections accurately to ensure only clinical documentation integrity and the corrections to the medical record, before the claim’s submission and/or medical review will be considered in determining the validity of the services billed.
Subscribe and Listen
You can subscribe to our podcasts via:
- Apple Podcasts – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/codecast-medical-billing-coding-insights/id1305926627
- Google Podcasts – https://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps/Ia47t6quqphhsanlzpajk37yiga
- Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/1lA69Q7EnjSMuVr3sXVWlX
- Stitcher – http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=156874
- TuneIn – https://tunein.com/radio/CodeCast–Medical-Billing-p1056702/
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoNm5vs6PFMIEDa5Undidlg
If you’d like to become a sponsor of the CodeCast podcast please contact us directly for pricing: https://www.terryfletcher.net/contact/
BS, CPC, CCC, CEMC, SCP-CA, ACS-CA, CCS-P, CCS, CMSCS, CMCS, CMC, QMGC, QMCRC
Ms. Terry Fletcher is a healthcare coding and billing consultant based in Southern California. With over 30-years experience, Ms. Fletcher teaches over 100 specialty coding Seminars, Teleconferences and Webinars every year. You can find her CodeCast™ podcast series, focusing on Physician Coding, Billing, Reimbursement, compliance, and Medical industry revenue opportunities, on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Google Play.